This week was a dramatic shift from my previous placement.
Went from having six students to twenty-two. It is just very different, not better
not worse but different, and so far, I have really enjoyed getting to know
these new students.
This week was mostly just observations and kind of getting
to know the students and build a new relationship with them I do not think that
I could successfully be an educator for them if I do not know them. I have been
focusing on learning names and trying to have a little chat with each of them.
I did not get to have to chat with them all or learn all their names, yet! I will
get there I feel like I have about 60% of the names down. I would say that this
week I have focused on standard number 8, collaborative relationships. The competent
teacher builds and maintains collaborative relationships to foster cognitive,
linguistic, physical, and social and emotional development. This teacher works as a team member with
professional colleagues, students, parents or guardians, and community members. I have been trying to build new working
relationships with the students on this classroom, and so far, absolutely loving
it.
The school that I am in is a one to one school. This means
that each student has their own iPad provided by the school that they keep at
school. The class uses the iPad pretty sparingly as it is since they are a
little bit younger, 2nd grade. One of the students discovered that
they could use to iPad to send a picture to all the other students in the
classroom, using “airdrop.” When I discovered what was happening, I told the teacher
not knowing if this was something she was allowing. We took this as a time to
talk about digital citizenship. I would relate this to standard 4, learning environment.
The competent teacher structures a safe and healthy learning environment that
facilitates cultural and linguistic responsiveness, emotional well-being,
self-efficacy, positive social interaction, mutual respect, active engagement,
academic risk-taking, self-motivation, and personal goal-setting. The students
claimed they did not know where these were coming from. So, the teacher and I decided
that we would talk about how on the net just like in person you should never accept
things or anything from a stranger. That if something on the internet doesn’t feel
right then you should not do it. It was found out, and we knew, which student
was doing it of course so there never was any fear of strangers sending
messages. But it was a good learning opportunity to discuss digital citizenship
and internet safety.
What a successful first week at my new placement!
Greg,
ReplyDeleteThe first week is always the challenge of getting to know so many routines that have been in place since last August when school started.
That was an interesting development with the Ipads. I assume your cooperating teacher also informed the tech person in the building about what occurred. Districts usually have many blocks on the system to monitor inappropriate usage.
Have a good week!
Although your placement is different i am sure you have many strategies that you can adapt and use. Remember you have more experiences now that you did p10 week ago with the first placement, so begin with your strengths and in and continue to grow. Dr. Austin
ReplyDelete