Saturday, March 23, 2019

Greg Week 11


 This week marks the second week of my second placement. It was also the week before spring break! The students sure did let me know that!

This week I worked on teaching a science lesson. The lesson was on water forms found on the earth. The previous lesson that the teacher and I co-taught was on making a model of the earth. The students were then asked to look at the globe and see that there are two main things o ear, water and land. So this lesson deepened their understanding of this topic by going into the different types of water and the ways it travels and moves. I would say that this relates to standard number 2, Content Area and Pedagogical Knowledge. The competent teacher has in-depth understanding of content area knowledge that includes central concepts, methods of inquiry, structures of the disciplines, and content area literacy.  The teacher creates meaningful learning experiences for each student based upon interactions among content area and pedagogical knowledge, and evidence-based practice. Going from the first lesson to the second deepened the understanding of the students of this science topic. I liked this lesson because first off I love science. But I also liked how it was something that was relatable to the students, I was able to bring up lakes and many of the students talked about summer lakes houses or their trips to lake Michigan. This made the topic super relatable to the students and able for them to understand.

Also, this week I was able to attend a response to intervention meeting. This was very interesting. I had never been to a meeting like this, so I was happy to be able to go. Basically, the students there are receiving some kind of intervention are discusses, see what is working, what isn’t working, and if they should continue to receive interventions. I would relate this to standard 9, Professionalism, Leadership, and Advocacy. The competent teacher is an ethical and reflective practitioner who exhibits professionalism; provides leadership in the learning community; and advocates for students, parents or guardians, and the profession. I say this because in these meeting we are being advocates for the student’s education. Some of the people in the meeting do not know the student very well at all and some do. But it is the ones who do know the students well to be a voice for the students.

On to Spring Break!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog continues to show the progress you are making and experiences you are taking part in during your experiences. Having the opportunity to attend in the Rti meeting is another non-traditional teaching experiences that is good for all teachers to have. Enjoy your break!
    Dr. Austin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,

    I'm glad you were included on the RTI meeting. Those meetings are so beneficial for your students who need extra help. It is always good to get other opinions and suggestions on strategies that can work with various learning difficulties.
    I hope you enjoyed your spring break and were able to get caught up on any assignments you had!

    ReplyDelete

Greg Week 15

This week I had my final observation on Monday. The students had been working with graphing and analyzing...