The final week! This was my last week at my first placement
at a special education school. It was such a wonderful experience and I know
that I will defiantly always remember what I learned from this placement. This
week I did a lot of observations. I would relate my observations to stand
number 2 Content Area and Pedagogical Knowledge. The competent teacher has
in-depth understanding of content area knowledge that includes central
concepts, methods of inquiry, structures of the disciplines, and content area
literacy. The teacher creates meaningful
learning experiences for each student based upon interactions among content
area and pedagogical knowledge, and evidence-based practice. This is because I was
earning more about being a teacher. I saw different classroom. One room I was
in for two days I loved it. The teacher does stations. I had never seen stations
done and run so successfully. There were 4 stations fine motor, teacher station,
speech, and leisure. I learned a lot about running a successful classroom from
this teacher. That is why I feel that I was working toward standard 2, because I
am become more competent in my content.
Since this was my last week all I did was observe and on Friday
my teacher threw a party in the classroom and the school had a special movie
day for a monthly reward. Over all this placement taught me a lot about teacher
special ed. I would relate it to standard 1, Teaching Diverse Students. Teaching
Diverse Students – The competent teacher understands the diverse
characteristics and abilities of each student and how individuals develop and
learn within the context of their social, economic, cultural, linguistic, and
academic experiences. The teacher uses
these experiences to create instructional opportunities that maximize student
learning. Because these student are different from each other in in the
classroom even I learned a lot about differentiation specially During one
lesson I would have to teacher to each of the 6 students in 4 or even 6 different
ways. It was a wonderful experience.
Congratulations on a job well done, Greg. Onward to placement #2. Dr. Patti Powell
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have great observation right through the end of this journey, great to know because the learning never stops. Good luck as you continue onward.
ReplyDeleteDr. Austin