This week was a bit challenging. Classroom management and
reteaching strategies came into play a lot!
This week we started a new unit in math, I was told to jump
forward a couple chapters in the math text book to graphs and data. Which I
could tell from the first lesson they were not understanding it very well. But
I moved on to lesson 2 anyways. This is when I knew that I needed to stop and
go back and reteach this skill of reading line plots. I would relate this to
standard 5, instructional delivery. The competent teacher differentiates
instruction by using a variety of strategies that support critical and creative
thinking, problem-solving, and continuous growth and learning. This teacher understands that the classroom
is a dynamic environment requiring ongoing modification of instruction to
enhance learning for each student. I had to go back and think of a new way to teach
reading line plots. I found a new work sheet and reteach how to read them. Doing
this made it possible for me to ensure that the students knew how to read and
interpret graphs so we can move on to reading other graphs. When I checked the
homework, the students had made impressive improvements.
This week I’m not sure what it what but the students are
CHATTTY! I guess maybe the weather or the time of the year, but they are
non-stop Even in the lunchroom the students have been getting in trouble and I
was told they had a silent lunch. I have been trying really hard to be patient
with them and try different strategies to keep them quieter and manage the
classroom. I would relate this to standard 4, learning environment. The competent teacher structures a safe and
healthy learning environment that facilitates cultural and linguistic
responsiveness, emotional well-being, self-efficacy, positive social
interaction, mutual respect, active engagement, academic risk-taking,
self-motivation, and personal goal-setting. One my strengths my patience I
would say. So, I have just been doing a lot of waiting and looking at the
talkers. I reward the student in the classroom who get quits or set the example
for the other students. The reward is a hawk buck for a weekly prize drawing at
the end of the week. I make a big production about when I hand them out to the
students, typically the same 3. I find that rewarding the good behavior is
better than criticizing the bad behavior and keeps me calmer and stress free.
This creates a more positive learning environment for the students and for me.
On to week 15!
I wish you the best as this chapter comes to a close. I hope that you take the opportunity and look back at your blogs along with all of the great planning and experiences you have has throughout this journey. You will certiny see how you have grown and learned in your practice.
ReplyDeleteDr. Austin