Friday, February 15, 2019

Greg week 6


This week was crazy! I cannot believe that it is already week 6 about to be week 7! This week I was completely in control, my cooperating teaching kept saying “pretend I’m not here.” I had to make a lot of decision on staff management. I never saw myself managing staff as much as I am right now. This week has been a bit challenging when it comes to the staff in the room. I am very used to the students, but the staff have had a bit of drama. After talking with my teacher, she mentioned that one of them is going through some personal trouble and doesn’t want it shared but I feel that it is affecting her mood. Standard number 8 talks about collaborative relationships. This relates here because I had to collaborate with my cooperating teacher about the mood of the staff. I also have to maintain positive relationships with the staff even when there is complex personal issues involved in a classroom. A competent teacher maintains a learning environment, standard 4. In the school setting that I am in there is a lot of different wheels in motion. The students are of course the most important but the staff in the classroom that the teacher manages is also important. Adults can and do have complex lives and sometimes that may be brought in the classroom. The room that I am in has a policy, if you are having a bad day etc. there is an open feelings policy you just have to say hey “hey I’m not feeling great for XYZ, hope you understand” this is a great positive environment to be in, but can be challenging at the same time.

This week I taught a less for my edtpa. It was a math lesson. I was very proud of the lesson and my cooperating teach told me it was a format that she wants to use. The lesson format was the students would pick out an item then there was a predetermined amount of the item need numbers 1-5. Then to practice counting the students would glue that amount of the objects on a piece of paper. Then to assess the students they had to find the number to match the number of objects shown from a field of 3. My teach really lied how the students had to practice the skill. This all relates to standard number 2 because I was able to practice a skill that I was teaching etc. this is all good practice for special education.

2 comments:

  1. You are so correct that the atmosphere in a classroom is strongly affected by the attitudes the paras bring into that room. Some teachers believe that managing the paras may be the most difficult part of their job. It appears to me that you are treating them with the respect due them. Continue to get to know them as individuals and note how each interacts with the students. I agree that your math lesson went very well. Keep up the excellent. I'll see you on Wed. Dr. Patti Powell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly hope that the environmental concerns are worked though son. I agree this will affect the class as a whole. I hope that in spite of these occurrences that you are engaging and facilitating great learning opportunities for students. Be sure to proofread before posting.
    Dr. Austin

    ReplyDelete

Greg Week 15

This week I had my final observation on Monday. The students had been working with graphing and analyzing...