This week was am amazing learning experience. Everything was
new, the school the students the instructional aids and I was moving quick to
try to get in the flow. I sated working on
learning the students daily schedule, when the go to the bathroom, what and if
they eat when they come in, where they sit, how important positioning is, and ALL
the new gear term, how it goes on and what it does. This was perhaps and will continue
to be the most challenging art since it is so new to me.
This week my cooperating teacher had me shadowing her a lot to
see what her role is in the classroom. She went to a meeting for all the
multi-needs teachers in the building, she had a staff meeting in the room. Both
these meetings were pretty productive. I got to sit on these meetings and
observe how they run.
The students followed their daily schedule. They had bathrooms
breaks, they had gym, social work, speech. There is a time for IEP goals, there
is a class meeting. The students were excited to have another teacher in their room!
Next week I will be doing more teaching and slowing start to
take over the classroom management including 3 teacher aids. There will be a
lesson net week that my cooperating teacher and I collaborated on and will be teaching
as part of a social studies unit. The management of aids is something that I am
nervous about simply because I’ve been the aid and I know how many of them feel
think at times in schools like this. They are super important to the classrooms
success and the teacher has to work hard to make sure they are happy.
Week one can be extremely challenging during student teaching. I'm glad you were able to get your feet wet and attend meetings with your supervising teacher. Working with the teacher aides in your classroom will be a learning experience utilizing your skills of communication and collaboration. We'll talk about this during our first visit. Please let me know a few times that would be good for an observation during the next week to week and a half. You might also want to consider writing your blog in a Word document and then copying and pasting it to your blog so that you can check your spelling and grammar. Enjoy this placement.
ReplyDeleteMr. Fox,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your post. You have clearly discussed what took place from the week. It sounds like you were involved and jumped right into the swing of things. You want to clearly articulate and give more details following the guiding questions from the bog assignment guidelines so we get a clear picture of the week. Be sure to share the roles of the cooperating teacher and others from the class in more detail. I wonder based on what was share who are the other adults in the room are and what are their roles?
In week 2 please be sure you also provide details and examples on your connections between the practice and the IPTS and paint a clear picture of what is taking place in the lessons that you highlight.
Have a great week 2!
Dr. Austin